Ellerslie House Home
Ellerslie House Home for Paralysed Soldiers and Sailors was set up in 1917, at the instigation of the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Sport Club, and by private subscription.
Ellerslie House itself, on the corner of First Avenue and Gregory Boulevard in ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½, was purchased by the 6th Duke of Portland and donated to a committee established to provide long-term care for back and other paralysing injuries among ex-servicemen. Medical operations and care were performed at the General Hospital in ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½.

Ellerslie House Home, 1931 (From Uhf R 6)
Within ten years of its foundation its initial constituency of patients began to disappear. It extended its functions to mining and other sources of injury, and was re-named 'Ellerslie House Home'. In 1948 it was placed in ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ No. 2 Hospital Group of the Regional Health Board, and continued its work into the 1960s.
Records
Official records of the Hospital
The papers were amongst the various transfers of hospital records made by the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire Area Health Authority (Teaching) South ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ District to the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ in the 1970s.
The catalogue of the is available on the Manuscripts Online Catalogue.
This small collection of records relates to one of ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½'s lesser known hospitals, and does not represent the full extent of records which would have been created by the institution. The collection includes accounts (1928-1947), minutes (1917-1938), annual reports (1923-1932), a visitors' book (1923-1948), and newspaper cuttings. Patient and clinical records are not present.
Further Reading
Hayes, Nick (2016). 'ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½'s Home for Heroes? Ellerslie House for Paralysed Soldiers and Sailors' in East Midlands History & Heritage, 2, 26-28
Next page: ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Medico-Chirurgical Society