| Date |
Event |
| 1778 |
John Key died and bequeathed £500 for a county hospital or infirmary |
| 1780 |
The Duke of Newcastle and ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Corporation donated land for the hospital and public subscriptions were solicited |
| 1782 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital opened |
| 1787 |
Derbyshire Wing of ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital opened |
| 1798 |
Edward Jenner published his findings about inoculation against smallpox using cowpox (vaccination) |
| 1800 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital surgeon John Attenburrow inoculated his son with cowpox |
| 1812 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : more additions to the building, including four more wards |
| 1812 |
Lunatic Asylum opened in Sneinton |
| 1815 |
The Apothecaries Act was passed. ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital began admitting indentured apprentices for training in medicine |
| 1828 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Fever House opened for contagious diseases and patients suffering from venereal disease |
| 1828 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Medico-Chirurgical Book Society founded |
| 1831-1832 |
Nationwide cholera epidemic |
| 1831 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital Dispensary opened in Hockley |
| 1837 |
Basford Union Workhouse opened (later became known as Highbury Hospital) |
| 1843 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital Dispensary moved to Broad Street |
| 1845 |
Reforms to the nursing establishment at ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital. Appointment of a salaried Superintendent Nurse from the Institution of Nursing Sisters in London |
| c.1846 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Medico-Chirurgical Book Society merged with the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Medical Book Society, and became the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Medico-Chirurgical Society |
| 1847 |
Nationwide typhus epidemic |
| 1848 |
Nationwide cholera epidemic |
| 1848 |
Public Health Act |
| 1854-1857 |
The Crimean War. Florence Nightingale worked at the army hospital at Scutari. The events at Scutari highlighted the dangers of poor sanitation, as more soldiers died from infections than battle wounds |
| 1855 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : third storey added to the original building, and Chapel built |
| 1859 |
Florence Nightingale established the Nightingale Training School and published Notes on Nursing |
| 1859 |
Eye Dispensary opened on Park Row, ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ |
| 1866 |
Eye Dispensary moved to St James’s Street and changed name to The ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ and Midland Eye Infirmary |
| 1869 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : a trained Matron appointed for the first time |
| 1869 |
The Free Hospital for Sick Children (ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Children’s Hospital) opened |
| 1873 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ and ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire Hospital Saturday Fund formed |
| 1875 |
Castle Gate Hospital for Women opened |
| 1879 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : new surgical wing with two wards opened on Park Row frontage |
| 1880 |
Mapperley Hospital opened |
| 1885 |
Samaritan Hospital in Raleigh Street opened |
| 1892 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Corporation opened Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital and Sanitorium |
| 1897 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : The Cedars convalescent home donated by Sir Charles Seely |
| 1898 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : X-Ray department established |
| 1899 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Children’s Hospital moved to Forest House, Chestnut Grove, off Mansfield Road |
| 1900 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Jubilee Wing opened |
| 1902 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Fever Wards moved to old Children’s Hospital premises on Postern Street |
| 1902 |
Saxondale Hospital opened, replacing the Sneinton Lunatic Asylum |
| 1903 |
Bagthorpe Workhouse and Infirmary opened off Hucknall Road, together with a school of nursing (later the City Hospital School of Nursing) |
| 1909 |
Bagthorpe Workhouse and Infirmary re-named the Bagthorpe Institute and Infirmary |
| 1912 |
The ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ and Midland Eye Infirmary opened new premises on The Ropewalk |
| 1915-1917 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : temporary wards (‘the terrace huts’) erected on the lawn to house injured soldiers |
| 1917 |
Ellerslie House on Gregory Boulevard purchased by the Duke of Portland and opened as Ellerslie House Home for Paralysed Soldiers and Sailors |
| 1921 |
Linen Guild of ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital formed |
| 1923 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Nurses’ Memorial Home opened |
| 1923 |
Amalgamation of Castle Gate Hospital for Women and Samaritan Hospital for Women |
| 1925 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Ransom Pathology Laboratories opened |
| 1927 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Children’s Hospital: new wing opened by H.R.H. Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles |
| 1929 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Ropewalk Wing, Casualty Department, and the Mabel Player children’s ward (in an additional storey added to the Jubilee Wing) opened; old Fever House converted to a surgical wing |
| 1929 |
Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital near Mansfield opened |
| 1930 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Hospital for Women in Peel Street received first patients |
| 1930 |
Bagthorpe Infirmary re-named the City Infirmary |
| 1931 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Pearson operating theatre opened |
| 1932 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Player Wing medical block opened |
| 1933 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : The Cedars extended |
| 1935 |
City Infirmary re-named the City Hospital |
| 1938 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Pay Bed Wing opened |
| 1938 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ and ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire Hospital Saturday Fund became the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ and ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire Hospital Saturday Contributory Fund |
| 1939-1945 |
Second World War. ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital became part of the Emergency Medical Service |
| 1943 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Castle Ward opened |
| 1945 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Hospital for Women took over Adbolton Hall as an annexe |
| 1947 |
St Mary’s Nursing Home became a Maternity unit of the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Hospital for Women |
| 1948 |
National Health Service established. ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire hospitals come under the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board |
| 1948 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ No. 1 Hospital Management Committee formed to manage certain ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ hospitals including ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital, Eye Infirmary, Children’s Hospital and Women’s Hospital |
| 1948 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ No. 2 Hospital Management Committee formed to manage certain ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ hospitals including the City Hospital |
| 1948 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Nos. 3 and 4 Hospital Management Committees formed to manage certain ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ hospitals including Mapperley, St Ann’s and Saxondale |
| 1948 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ and ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire Hospital Saturday Contributory Fund replaced by the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ and District Health Fund |
| 1948 |
General Hospital ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Nurses’ League founded |
| 1956 |
Linen Guild of ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital became the General Hospital ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Linen Guild and League of Hospital Friends |
| 1959 |
The ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ and Midland Eye Infirmary re-named The ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Eye Hospital |
| 1963 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Intensive Care Unit opened |
| 1964 |
Decision to establish a new medical school and build a new University Hospital in ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ |
| 1970 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ No. 1 Hospital Management Committee became the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ University Hospital Management Committee |
| 1970 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Nos. 3 and 4 Hospital Management Committees merged to became the Trent Vale Hospital Management Committee |
| 1970 |
First students entered the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Medical School. ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital and the City Hospital both acquired teaching hospital status |
| 1972 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Trent Wing opened |
| 1972 |
General Hospital ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Nurses’ League became the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Hospitals Nurses’ League |
| 1972 |
St Mary’s Nursing Home (ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Hospital for Women) closed |
| 1974 |
Trent Regional Health Authority replaced the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board |
| 1974 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ University Hospital Management Committee became the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire Area Health Authority (Teaching) South ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ District |
| 1974 |
The City Hospital became part of the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire Area Health Authority (Teaching) North ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ District |
| 1977 |
University Hospital and Medical School opened by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II and named the Queen’s Medical Centre (QMC) |
| 1978 |
QMC received its first in-patients, from ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Children’s Hospital |
| 1978 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Children’s Hospital closed, and all functions moved to QMC |
| 1978 |
Eye treatments split between The ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Eye Hospital and the QMC |
| 1980 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½shire Area Health Authority (Teaching) South ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ District replaced by the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Health Authority |
| 1980 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Hospital for Women: Adbolton Hall closed |
| 1981 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Hospitals Nurses’ League became the ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Nurses’ League |
| 1981 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Hospital for Women closed, and all functions moved to QMC |
| 1982 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : bicentenary year |
| 1983 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital : Stroke Research Unit opened |
| 1983 |
The ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Eye Hospital closed, and all functions moved to QMC |
| 1988 |
Saxondale Hospital closed |
| 1992 |
General Hospital ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ Linen Guild and League of Hospital Friends met for the last time |
| 1992 |
ÀÖ²¥´«Ã½ General Hospital closed, and all functions moved to QMC |